Thursday, August 25, 2011

Scans & Results

First of all, I thank each of you for your support, prayers & words of encouragement.

Yesterday was another 'event', and why shouldn't it be? No day is ever dull for me. I've worked with killer whales, chinese ambassadors, Broadway shows and farms for pete's sake!

So MRI's? Why the loud banging? The melodic combination of car alarms, machine guns & nuclear bomb alarms for 1/2 an hour. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like if they didn't give me ear plugs. They gave me an IV for sedation if needed, but I passed out anyways no matter the sirens of the end of the world surrounding me. But before I continue, i need to put an image in your head....

You assume an MRI is lying on your back & you enter this claustrophobic chamber, right? Oh no. For a breast MRI, you climb up on your knees, back facing the machine. You open your robe and support yourself going down in a semi-plank position, until you fit each breast into, what i call, it's own 'tune in tokyo' contraption. Seriously. Then the nurse wiggles each breast to ensure they're in correctly. Ok, now you should close your eyes and picture it. Go ahead. It's alright to giggle. I sure did!

After I was done, I went down for the PetCT scan. Another IV for sugar to stun my system (after my previous day of low carbs/no sugar, and not having eaten anything 6 hours before or drank anything 4 horus before), then drink this shake to 'highlight' my intestines. I thought, oh this little cup is nothing. The tech gave me what he said was the best flavor, mocha-chino. I can't imagine how bad the strawberry, banana or others are because that tasted like ass, but a little cup, no problem. He shows me to my own little medical cell (4x4 room) with a recliner and space heater to warm my body up, hands me the rest of the shake (almost a 1/4 gallon). Tells me to drink the rest, and that he'll be back in an hour. Thank goodness I brought my laptop to work!

He returns, has me empty my bladder and remove my bra. I do so, and he again asks if I'm wearing any metals, including hair tie. Then I lie down, and he starts to fill my IV with the radiation fluid. Warns me that my mouth will taste like metal and I'll feel a warming sensation go through my body, starts at my head through my torso. When it reaches my bladder, it'll feel like I'm peeing, but I'm not. And boy was he right, what a sensation! Then he straps me in like a mummy and tells me to go to sleep. An hour and half later, I'm done.

My Chief Doc calls me soon after to tell me my MRI came back fine, so left breast is clear. And then called me this morning to tell me the PetCT came back with what looks like arthritis in my lower back. Don't be freaked out, doesn't think it's cancer, but wants to do a back MRI (on Tuesday) to get more details before schedule the surgery. Um, doc, have you not noticed my DDs? Of course I have stress, pain, arthritis in my lower back!

More waiting, wondering, planning, and still working. If it weren't for a little thing called Hurricane Irene, I would have biked to work today! Still feeling healthy despite the cancer in my right tata!

Love you all.
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment